7.28.2004

this is another another one from Cat Power

So its 10:49 AM and I just got into work. I passed one of the support desk guys who had the gall to ask me out on a date two days ago (I turned him down politely) on the way in and whispered "I'm sneaking in!" He grinned then frowned at his watch - his face almost cracked - and secretly thought that was super rebellious in a kind of sexy way. Little does he know that I can not get up in the morning and its a real struggle! I'm really happy when I magically wake up at 6 in the morning without any alarm clock, drink coffee and read the paper and feed the cats, clean for an hour, then bike to work. Its the recipe for the perfect day!

So I've been oversleeping for two days, trying to make that magic 6AM waking happen. This morning I woke up at 7:49, looked at the cats curled up next to me, thought 'oh goody, its early, I can have a good morning' then went back to sleep until 9. I'm hoping to get some actual work done at work today, instead of blogging and surfing and avoiding everyone, and maybe even to work on my personal statement for grad school, which I'm not so jazzed about. I'm experiencing the conflict between love and money. I like the efficiency of the work world, and the insanity of global capitalism, and I'd love to study it, with one foot in the bathtub, one foot on land, half dressed, etc. etc. Thats a reference to a greek myth, for those of you who missed it. Basically what I'm saying is that I'm looking quasi seriously at a phd in Org and Mgmt, which means steeling myself for a lifetime of cognitive dissonance and a decent stipend and salary. Sounds like life to me. On the other hand, if I applied to soc, I might be able to get people to send me to Samoa for research and do pointless linguistic studies and economic histories of canibalism that no one will ever read, then spend the rest of my life trying to find crap assistant professorships.

What I really want is a windsurfer, and to move to san diego, and do some sort of micronesian business program that will allow me to work the corporate side and do an adjunct professorship and dip into samoan microloan ngos every few years when im feeling altruistic. But first things first - I've got to get to work before 10AM tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?