9.07.2004

Campaign Update, Predictions

OK. Kerry is down 7-11 points depending on your poll. Questions about Kerry's record, the campaign's focus on Iraq, and fears about terrorism are bad territory for Kerry.

My worries if Bush wins:
  1. Flat Tax.
    I think Bush will try to implement a flat tax in a 2nd term. Why?
    - Bush recently indicated that he would be interested in a flat tax.
    - A year or 2 ago, Bush complemented Putin on implementing a %13 flat tax rate in Russia
    - Bremer stuck a %15 flat tax in Iraq's constitution.

    Why am I anti? Because income disparity is up (this from looking at the income and poverty data on census.gov) health care coverage is down (again, census.gov) and take a peek at Bush's 2005 cuts to see what sort of things the government will no longer do.
  2. Privatize Social Security
    Well, to be honest, Social Security is pretty much dead already. The tax cut was not intended to effect the economy, it was a way to force the govt to privatize social security by spending all the money in the 'trust fund'. If only they'd given it back to the people who filled the trust fund, I'd mind less...
    So now Bush is starting to make speeches about privatizing social security - talking about $1000 tax refunds to give people the 'opportunity' to 'own a piece of your health care.' etc. Nevermind that $1000 won't remove your wisdom teeth these days.
Basically, the Bush plan is to increase income disparity, cut government services that enable any household making less than 6 digits a year afford health care, education and college... its a goddamn recipe for disaster.

The fight has begun to shift the dialogue to Bush's own service record and his economic record - the DNC, Washington Post, NYTimes have begun to do this, and there are several books and movies coming out about Bush's past. The debates are coming up, too - but Bush did well in the 2000 debates.

I haven't found out much about the swing states yet. Not sure which states are still considered potential swingers. Obviously I can't do much anywhere except for in FL... I'm just wondering which county is best to register voters in, etc.

My favorite campaign slogan: 'Don't change horses mid-apocalypse.'

In other news, I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last night. Whats the big deal? Two gay bank robbers try to out-queen each other with clever comebacks for two hours, share a woman and a horse, then commit double suicide abandoned and alone in Bolivia. Maybe it was something special in 1967.

Comments:
You and your critical analysis of the upcoming race. Have yet to hear from Brandon... I guess I should bug him and figure out if I am "needed" up in Philly in a couple of weeks.

And I love your assessment of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. *giggle* I wished I had written it.
 
Oops, I meant to add that comment as me and not anonymously.
 
ah Brandon.
 
PS - YOU ARE NEEDED IN PA!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?