11.03.2004

Lame Duck

Election Day was exhausting. I fell asleep shortly after polls closed. Woke up this morning on the floor next to pool table in the guest house in Tallahassee. I think I tried to get up in the middle of the night to wake up the BIB so we could drive back to Atlanta, and I didn't make it.

Said goodbye to the horses, the swimming pool, the lake, the trees, dragged myself into the car and we drove North. Through south Georgia. Cotton fields like snow in the hot sun, 'Abstinence Works - 100%' billboards, malls called Plantation Plaza. Listening to the election results on right wing talk radio, crying like an idiot.

Got home, said hi to the cats, went to work.

Whats there to say? Goldwater, Nixon, Agnew, McCarthy. This has been a long time brewing. Its going to be a long time fighting back. Four more years to plan. The environment, world peace - its worth it. Iraq, the economy, abortion, gay marriage, stem cell research, the war on drugs, gun control, fixed elections, sleazy campaign tactics.. theres gonna be volunteer work to do for ages to come.

What changed my mood from utter dispair?

Talking to cousin 007 and his guerilla tactics in NH - canvassing evangelical churches on a Sunday afternoon. Thinking about my grandmother, campaigning for Adlai Stevenson. And, humor. I got this stupid funny email today. Context: for the past month, Billionnaires for Bush chapterleaders have been discussing our post-election name. Round 3:30 PM today, I got this:

>> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:41 PM
>> To: 'chapterleaders@billionairesforbush.com'
>> Subject: [B4BChaptrLdrs] Post-election name...
>> Importance: Low
>>
>>
>> B4B Chapter Leaders Nationwide
>>
>> replies go to sender.
>> you may address messages to chapterleaders@billionairesforbush.com to
>> send
>> to the list
>>
>> So ... Billionaires for Bush it is?
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> chapterleaders mailing list


Billionnaires for Bush it is. Rock on.

In other news, BIB is back. Not that he's done anything wrong this time, just the trip was a real strain on the relationship, mostly because he was exposed to the incredible disorganization of my life, the disgusting state of my car and.. well, I don't know. I guess he wasn't exactly totally committed to being in FL. He missed out on his birthday party and some awesome halloween parties.

One thing that marred the trip was the BIB and this chick A. I like A. But I can't stand to see her near my guy. If she's at the bar, we're going home. Its one of those things where you see a girl give your boyfriend the 'what can we do - you have a girlfriend' shrug as they say goodbye. And my gut tells me he isn't arguing.

Somehow I liked it better when I was coming home to him missing me, saying 'welcome back' instead of him coming with me, seeing how messy I am when I'm living out of a car with no time for laundry, cleaning, etc., meeting cool beautiful funny new york lawyers. Sigh.



Comments:
You should be very proud of yourself for working so hard, you're an inspiration.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?