11.29.2004

Robosapien

Curled up in the bath yesterday evening. Then I sat on the couch with a blanket and stared into space for a while. Then I made some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and petted the cats. Then I read cheezy science fiction compulsively for a while and petted the cats some more. In this way, 6 or 8 hours passed. Around 2 AM I realized I'd pretty much re-enacted the first 15 years of my life. Then I went to bed.

As of 11/22 Ohio democrats are running a recount. . Won't change anything, won't restore trust to the electorate. Symbolic of progressives eddying around in the wake of the Bush administrations progress. On the plus side, my ex-boyfriend, very sweet boy, a bit fragile though, refused to speak a word to me after I abruptly dumped him last fall, yeah, he has started talking to me again around this issue. So as long as the recount story has legs, I think ex-boy and I can continue to exchange e-mails in a quasi friendly way. Go Ohio democrats.

Mr. Fish died. He froze to death on a cold night. I came home from a day and a night with the boy and Mr. Fish's eye was cloudy and he didn't move. Should not have left him near the window with only a desk lamp with an environmentally sound lightbulb for warmth. I had a little interrment ceremony for him in the backyard, much to Jack the Cat's delight.

Speaking of Jack the Cat, it perturbs me how little he misses his balls. Got up early on Tuesday and had him neutered. (sidenote: WH gives the best wakeup calls in the world. She's extremely cheerful and talks energetically for about 10 minutes, at which point the coffee's done and you've absorbed more about risk and clitorectomys than you ever thought was possible at 7:08 in the morning. Theres no slipping back under the covers after that jolt of energy.) As soon as the anesthetic wore off, Jack was as insouciant and whiny and curious as ever. Doesn't it matter to him? Doesn't he notice? Doesn't he care? I would expect a slight depression, or some grumpy resentment... but no. I don't think he notices their absence at all. Indestructable.

Had a wonderful Thanksgiving/Birthday weekend with the boy. He is going to Vietnam on Friday and I'm looking forward to the psychic peace. I'll miss him but I need a break. I want to get him some small trip related hanukah presents... compass, other backpacking through southeast asia gifts. Any tips?

You know what I'd really like to give him though: that new robot on the market, Robosapien. $99 bucks for a cool plastic friend who can pick up your socks and put them in the closet, or keep the cat off the table. I definitely want one, not for me, but for a geeky boy around me who will hack it and teach it how to do stupid mindless amusing things like.. recount ballots in Ohio and exchange political e-mails with ex-boyfriends I guess.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?