1.13.2005

Bling Bling in the ATeL

In grade school my nicknames were pretty poor seconds to my real name. Think 'Elvira' or 'Ebola' or 'bat-girl'.

So I wasn't terribly pleased when the boy nicknamed me 'el', not only because my name is better but also because I have to share my nickname with the boy's best friend 'L' and the hebrew god.

All this means is that when me and the boy are having a nice moment on the sofa and he says 'oh, El, please, yes, please, don't, stop, i mean go' I immediately turn on the lights to see if he means me or if the other 'El/L's have wandered into the room.

Um. I've been reading Dave Barry all day. Can you tell? And Dr. Sherry Turkle, who writes about interactive computer games like Piaget writes about theory of self and Goffman writes about toys. And I took a humor quiz which said that I scored 66 out of a hundred overall, 64 on 'generating' humour and 72 on 'appreciating' humor.

I didn't get this one joke on the test: 2 bears are eating and one bear says to another bear, 'pass the salt.' And the other bear says, 'what do I look like, a washing machine?'

I don't get it.

More jokes I don't get: a Jew, a U.U., a Catholic and a born-again Evangelist all got together last night for weekly bible study at J's house. We made it to the 4th day of Genesis before the Jew and the Evangelist started fighting over A. whether El made the sun and moon with the heavens, or when I adorned the heavens, B. whether or not there is original sin and C. who is being more condescending/going to hell (if there were a hell)/both.

I was careful to communicate that as a Unitarian Universalist, I was the best prepared for interfaith conflict and even predicted last month that shit was going to hit the fan if people didn't stop being so goddamned specific about their beliefs. I also warned them that in my native land, I am a considered a princess. To the catholisms credit, J didn't join in the fray, just drank a lot, suggested we spend next week discussing lust, and then ran off for a date with a Marine whom she promised not to do anything with because she still hasn't legally separated from her husband.

Maybe we can drop the whole bible thing and attend the wicca zen yoga retreat my congregational association is having next weekend instead.

Got to work easily today... up at 7, left the house by 8, at work by 9. Seems easy. Hard part is actually getting something done once I'm here. But slowly slowly. 3 PM. 2.5 more hours, kids, then I'm FREEEEEEEE!

Come on, I deserve better than a 66. Don't I?

xo, el



Comments:
Yes, you're funny. I don't think you need a quiz to tell you that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?