1.07.2005

datta, dayadhvam, damyata

OK, so today I'm quitting smoking.

I've got little notes to myself in my palm pilot, I'm installing a quitsmokingmeter on my computer, I've got events planned in my calendar. I'm gonna spend the next 3 days doing the withdrawal thing, tonight I'm going to destroy my little smoking niche by the window with the fan, this weekend I'll clean house and car because I know its going to bug me how much smoke is in the place.

Tomorrow I get the paper and I'm going to have to read it with no cigarettes. Hmm. Maybe I'll go to a coffee shop. Or, might go to a sunrise service or meditation session - they do Zen at 6:30 AM every day at my church.

I need a mantra. I hate that craving moment where I start compulsively thinking, looking, searching for cigarettes as a last stop gap before going out and buying a pack. So I need a positive compulsive behavior to stop that.

And some replacement behavioral stuff - mouth and hands busy. Find my koboloi, or some bracelets to play with. And buy some lolipops and gum and stuff. And to start excercising more, I guess. We'll see.

I guess next weekend I'll plan to do a detox. That should be fun, I've wanted to for a few months now, but whats the point when you're chain smoking the whole time?

Lets see, its been 7 years exactly. I started smoking in the beginning of 98. Never thought for a minute that I was starting a 7 year habit.

I guess I'm a little bit patient and not to worried about it. Good to get anxious a bit, in preparation, but basically I just know that I am going to have a little bit of a crazy, hermit weekend, and that after that, it'll be fine.

I just need a mantra though. Something half decent that I won't mind engraving into my brain.

Comments:
Good luck with that. I think TMS was trying something like that too. But he's smoking again. And there's no way he's not going to smoke in Sierra Leone, with people passing out cigs to children as part of promotional advertising.

Exercising and eating, those seem like the best solutions. I think I want to detox before I go on my little trip. I know that it's a lot easier for me to overcome jetlag when I've stopped ingesting toxins.

Mantra: There's no place like home?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?