2.14.2006

Happy Valentines Day


2/14/06 CNN: The fellow hunter shot and wounded by Vice President Cheney suffered a "minor heart attack" after a piece of birdshot moved to his heart, a hospital spokesman said today. "Some of the bird shot appears to have moved and lodged into part of his heart ... in what we would say is a minor heart attack," said Peter Banko, with Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial.

In other news, I cruised through the first few days of February in calculated silence, safe in the knowledge that the boy would completely forget VDay was coming, and then the two of us could get out of this stupid holiday altogether. Then my friend J had the audacity to mention the impending deadline to the two of us. The boy pulled a brilliant tactical move, announcing that, "I did Valentines Day last year and this year I think its your turn."

What a crock. My turn to do Valentines Day? What am I supposed to do for Valentines Day? All I've ever had to do is dress nice and show up. Dress nice, show up. Thats what I do for Valentine's Day. Grrrrr. And now, having had no practice at all, I have to organize stuff and do something thoughtful and what gives???? I have no clue what to do. I already did a big art piece for the boys b-day and I don't have the time or $ to top that... in fact I have no $ on account of She-Ra's mystery fever and expensive emergency vet trip two weeks ago. The boy hasn't bothered to cultivate a taste in chocolate over the years to make it easy on significant others, nor does he seem to appreciate flowers... I tried to do a silk screen t-shirt, but couldn't think of a good icon - its just - a disaster. Its 3PM on Valentines Day and I've got nothing.

Well, guess what. Its Tuesday so we're going to the Claremont for strip-club karaoke and that isn't romantic, I don't know what is. My turn to do Valentines Day, why I oughta...

Comments:
I think he's brilliant. Wish I thought of that.

-BiB
 
Silkscreen ideas are on fourfour.typepad.com. It's from his black history month entry, but it could be romantic if you used jackee from 227 or lou rawls or something. Have fun at karaoke - wish I could be there!
 
LOL - nice. Not sure the boy can pull it off - maybe my sister though!

In an entirely other not-quite-tasteful direction... the black MBA association has done something strange to celebrate black history month... they've put up posters all around the school with different famous black figures in the civil rights and abolitionist/escape movements with the phrase, 'A History of Adding Value' above their heads...

I get that they're MBAs, speaking to MBAs... and that morality is being sold as a value-added attribute, kind of like 'courage' and 'leadership. I think the tagline comes from a schoolwide 'ethics' campaign and womens history month gets the same tagline, etc. etc. But Denmark Vesey had A History of Adding Value? Thats not... quite... right.
 
Nearly falling off my couch laughing. What the hell is that? Can you imagine the planning meeting where they decided the criteria for who gets to be on the wall, though? "Frederick Douglas not only delivered speeches throughout the world, but he also wrote some moving books about SLAVERY. That's his value-added, if we want to consider him for our famous black people wall." "But what about Coretta Scott King?" "Well, she was just ,like, a famous guy's wife... I mean, what's her value-added?" "Well, she just died..." "Good point."

Sorry for the extended dialogue. Had to go there, with my being a potential candidate for somebody's black history wall (perhaps my old nursery school's?)
 
lol... Coretta Scott King as you predicted, did not get picked - although there is a memorial to her on the first floor.

Hmm. I can see it now: "Wild Honey - Never Threw Food" - not so much! But maybe if the nursery school were in Sierra Leone, you wouldn't mind.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?